According to Professor Andrew Huberman, hydrogen water may offer several upsides related to energy and overall well-being.
Andrew Huberman, a professor of neurobiology at Stanford University, has discussed the potential benefits of drinking hydrogen water on his podcast.
As leading researchers uncover more insights into hydrogen water, many people are interested in learning whether it can improve health.
In this post, we’ll summarize Huberman’s main points about hydrogen water, his product recommendations, and examine the scientific evidence behind its touted benefits.
What is Hydrogen Water?
Hydrogen water is regular water that contains extra dissolved hydrogen gas (H2).
There are a few different ways to increase the hydrogen content of water:
- Adding hydrogen gas directly to water under pressure
- Running an electric current through water to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen (electrolysis)
- Dropping magnesium into water, which reacts to produce hydrogen gas
- Using “molecular hydrogen tablets” that contain magnesium metal to generate hydrogen when placed in water
Drinking hydrogen water is purported to neutralize harmful free radicals that can damage cells and lead to inflammation and disease.
Andrew Huberman Hydrogen Water Experience
On his podcast, Huberman shared that he drops hydrogen tablets into his drinking water once to twice a day.
These tablets contain magnesium that reacts with water to create dissolved hydrogen gas.
He mentioned trying hydrogen water tablets after researching the potential benefits of alkaline and electrolyzed water.
His own tap water is quite low in magnesium, so Huberman wanted to experiment with raising the pH through hydrogen enrichment.
Subjectively, Huberman reported that drinking hydrogen water gave him more energy and made him “feel better.”
He plans to continue using hydrogen tablets regularly.
Examining the Research on Hydrogen Water Benefits
Huberman cited some intriguing research that suggests potential benefits of hydrogen water:
- A review found the increase in pH from dissolved hydrogen may explain the benefits of alkaline ionized water. Higher pH improves hydration and reduces free radicals.
- A study gave people 1.5 liters of hydrogen water daily for 4 weeks. Drinking hydrogen water lowered inflammation and boosted antioxidant status in blood cells for those over age 30.
- Animal studies show hydrogen water may reduce oxidative stress and improve kidney, liver, and heart function.
The proposed mechanism is that the extra hydrogen in the water acts as a potent antioxidant.
By neutralizing oxidative free radicals, hydrogen allegedly protects cells and reduces inflammation and cell death.
However, Huberman pointed out that there are still only a limited number of clinical trials on hydrogen water itself.
More research is needed to substantiate health claims and understand optimal dosing.
Huberman Hydrogen Water Tips
Instead of buying expensive hydrogen water, Huberman suggested making it yourself at home using hydrogen tablets.
He does not recommend putting them in hot or carbonated beverages.
To get the benefits of hydrogen water without changing your entire water intake, Huberman said to make 1-2 glasses per day using a tablet.
Look for tablets that rapidly generate hydrogen when placed in water.
Always make sure your tap water is filtered to remove contaminants like heavy metals and chlorine before adding anything to enhance it.
Getting sufficient magnesium from your municipal water or diet is more important than trying hydrogen water.